Main menu


Julio Rodriguez's "contagious" energy propels M through a marathon day in Cleveland.Mariners

featured image

Ty France played several rounds of Golden Tee Golf on arcade machines located outside the Visitors Clubhouse at Progressive Fields in Cleveland.

Eugenio Suarez played cards with his teammates. Jesse Winker called his daughter and took a short nap. JP Crawford sat back and watched TV.

Each of the Mariners had their own way of weathering the four-and-a-half-hour rain delay in Cleveland on Sunday, September 4th.

For most of them, it was the longest day of their professional baseball career, arriving at the ballpark around 11:00 a.m. ET, then tackling uncertain rain delays to finally score six in an 11-inning game. -3 wins. It didn’t end until 11:01 PM ET.

“It’s definitely been a long day of ups and downs,” France said on Monday afternoon. “When we restarted[in the fourth]I thought we were only going to play a few innings. Then we found ourselves in his 11th. It felt like an eternity.”

The Mariners finished their road trip with six wins in six days and moved to first place in the American League wild card race. They hurriedly packed up the clubhouse on Sunday night, headed to the airport, and flew home for just over four hours.

The team returned to T-Mobile Park just before 3am.

Suarez said he finally fell asleep around 5am

Most of the Mariners were back on the ballpark by 1 p.m. Monday, before the 3:40 p.m. first pitch to kick off a three-game series against the Chicago White Sox.

“It definitely helps when you’re winning,” said Suarez, who was given a rare match on Monday. “When you’re winning, no matter how long you spend in the ballpark, everything will be fine and everyone will be happy.”

Manager Scott Serves said the bus ride to Cleveland Airport was the busiest of the season.

“It’s as exciting as our team has heard it all year,” he said. It’s one of those games where I feel like I have a role to play in getting the job done.”

Julio Rodriguez had four hits, including his 23rd home run of the season. He also stole his 24th base of the season, and Serve credited the rookie centerfielder for keeping everyone in the spirit.

“The energy level that kid is playing with every day is contagious,” Servais said Monday afternoon. “…you sit there for four hours. and playing cards, and it’s really hard to get up and put it back on, and you can say, ‘Oh, they’re professional athletes.’ They are paid to do this. Well they are human. It’s really hard.

“But Julio from the beginning, after we started playing again and[the Guardians]tied the game, I loved the energy. The whistle. It’s working. They ride each other. I We joke around in the dugout, but that’s the beauty of baseball.It’s a terrible marathon and yesterday was the epitome of that.But it was great.It was great to be there.”

Dylan Moore is still weeks away

Utility player Dylan Moore was placed on the disabled list on Aug. 30 with a skewed strain, but Serves said he would have at least two weeks to make a comeback “in the best case scenario.”

Moore started some running drills and was scheduled to do some rotation training in the pool on Monday, but he hasn’t started baseball activities yet.

Copyright 2022 Tribune Content Agency.